Excel - Program too big?

Desert Andy 08:33 18 Feb 05

I have written a major program in Excel 03 using VB. There are about 20,000 lines of code, and about 140 worksheets. I have just opened up the program and it gives the message "Too many cell formats", and it repairs the book, but with extensive errors. Any idea how to cure this please, since my last back up was 14 hours ago, and there is a major amount of work that i will lose.

Yoda Knight 08:41 18 Feb 05

It may be that Excel3 has a limit to the amount of cell formats, can u try the same prog on a newer version ? U should be able to save it (esp the VB side of it), regardless of wether it works or not...

In any one workbook excel has an approximate support limitation of 4,000 different cell format, beyond reducing the number of formats there is no solution.

Reduction can be achieved by having a common font, cell colour etc, or even reducing the number of worksheets.

You state VB, is that what you meant or was it VBA? If VBA, then open the workbook without the Macros and check where the end cell on a worksheet is, if incorrect then correct it, this will of course reduce the size of the workbook and may also affect the cell format problem - but do not hold your breath.

Sorry I could not help further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…