Excel printing... specific size on paper?

Simsy 17:38 03 May 05

Hi folks,

I'm sure there must be an answer to this...

I want to print a sheet out such that the cells are a specific size. (In this case 17.5 mm wide, but it's the principle I want to establish so I can deal with the problem inthe future!)

The printed sheet will be cut up and stuck to an electrical distribution board, hence the need for exact sizes.

anticipating the problem I first made an image, (using PaintShopPro), that was the size I wanted the cells to be printed out. I then inserted this on to the sheet and dragged the cells so that they were the same size as the image.

Subsequently, the printed image had the cells much to big, (29 mm instead of 17.5mm). There was no "scaling" applied in the printing. I have now achieved the task by applying a suitable factor to the cell widths and all is well...

However, surely there is a way to do this more easily. Suppose I wanted to print out a sheet such that each cell, on paper was, say, 1 inch wide. Can I set this up somehow?

Thanks in anticipation.

wee eddie 17:47 03 May 05

Use Word > Table > Table Auto Format

There are many pretty designs there and you can use the Ruler to get your measurements correct.

wee eddie 17:47 03 May 05

Use Word > Table > Table Auto Format

There are many pretty designs there and you can use the Ruler to get your measurements correct.

Simsy 17:56 03 May 05

good idea, but I really want to crack how to do this in Excel.

There are a number of existing files, at work, where I may need to apply the principle.

any more,

Noldi 17:58 03 May 05

Or format cell widths the save as your template. This is how I do all my folder labels.

VoG II 17:58 03 May 05

I suggest that you ask at click here

VoG II 18:01 03 May 05

I see that you already have :o)

wee eddie 18:18 03 May 05

Format > Row.

Format > Column.

Highlight the area you wish to print > File > Print Area > set Print Area.

lotvic 19:33 03 May 05

is it that excel is readjusting the cell width/column to accomodate the font size? if so then maybe the 'shrink to fit' function needs to enabled (format > alignment > and tick the box)

Simsy 00:06 04 May 05

I'll leave this unticked as it isn't solved.

lotvic... you maybe on to something... but if so I'm still unresolved as the shirink to fit option disables the text wrapping!

VoG™, at least I'm getting a response here!

All pointers welcome on this one. I find it hard to believe that it's not something that others have tried to deal with inthe past... but I can't find any references!!

(It's Excel 2000 by the way, in case that makes a difference>)

Number 7 01:06 04 May 05

Hi Simsy

Have a look here click here

There's 25.4mm to an inch, so you can work out the pixel size by doing the sum, and drag the cell to the required pixel size.

I've tried it here and the 17.5mm width comes out at about 18mm- so I suppose it also depends on the type of printer you're using.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…