excel & phone numbers

osben 10:17 07 Oct 04

Hi

Using Excel XP. When I type in a number begining with zero, the zero will not stay their when I move to another cell, unless I format the cells to "text"

However when a number is inserted after formating cell as "text" I get the green tag up in the corner of the cell. Is their any way of stopping this happening.

Am I using the correct formating on the cell to enable me to keep zero's in front of a number or should I use another format other than "text"

Regards

The_Gog 10:22 07 Oct 04

generally Excel is for Accoutancy, sums - whatever, if you need to store leading zeroes, you need to either customize the cell or, more easily, format it as text.

Ia it's a phone number it is unlikely you will be using the number in calculations, so the fact it is formatted as text should not matter.

The green tab is the auto-error checking thiny, I believe you can turn it off if you want, it just allows quick access to soem conversion of the cell contents and a few other options.

spargo 10:23 07 Oct 04

osben

Format as text is correct, but make sure all the cells you want to use are included in the text format.

VoG II 10:27 07 Oct 04

Format as Special, phone number.

Gongoozler 10:29 07 Oct 04

If you put a ' before the number, it will be stored as text even if the cell is formatted as General or Number, and the ' won't be displayed. You still get the green thingy though.

The_Gog 10:30 07 Oct 04

When I looked in my Excel (2002 SP1), there's nothing in the right hand pane when you click Special?

VoG II 10:39 07 Oct 04

There is here (XL 2000) and at home (XL 2003).

osben 10:55 07 Oct 04

Thanks for the help

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…