Excel - Pasting multi-line text

daba 23:35 01 Sep 05

A question for the Excel experts.

I know it is possible to TYPE multi-line text into a cell, (set word-wrap on, and use Alt-Enter for a newline), but does anyone know how to PASTE multi-line text (say from Word), into a cell.

All attempts I've tried so far result in the individual lines being pasted into successive rows.

If this can't be done within Excel, then perhaps it may be possible to search/replace the hard CR in the Word text with the Alt-Enter (soft CR) before pasting, but how do you get the soft CR into the replace field in the search/replace dialog ?

VoG II 23:40 01 Sep 05

This Excel 'expert' doesn't know. Try click here

Simsy 11:14 02 Sep 05

the formula bar, rather than into the cell.

Regards,

Simsy

daba 17:52 02 Sep 05

Thanks for that, a solution in part for the job I have in mind, but I think I can live with that, cheers.

BTW did you find that by accident, or is it in the help ?

Simsy 19:51 06 Sep 05

I discovered it, by whatever means, some time ago, that copying/pasting to/from the formula bar is a way of dealing with the "text" content of the cell, rather than the "cell" content of the cell, (e.g. formatting etc).

Thinking this would do what you wanted I tried it, (using some multiline text in notepad), and it worked, just before posting.

I know the help doesn't cover everything... I suspect I got from a tip either on this forum, or on click here

It's even possible that I worked it out, (guessed!) for myself!!

Anyway, glad it's helped.

Regards,

Simsy

VoG II 19:56 06 Sep 05

Nice one Simsy.

If I had known this a couple of years ago I could have saved myself a lot of work (and transcription errors I suspect).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…