Excel not recognising dates

peabody 16:20 23 Mar 05

Dates input to Excel are being treated simply as a text string and not recognised as dates. Apparently, all was OK until recently (this is a friend's problem). Old spreadsheets suffer the same problem, so it seems to be a global problem.
Any ideas please?

Rogerfredo 16:26 23 Mar 05

The cells have to be formatted to accept dates rather than text or numbers. Goto Format/cells after selecting those that need to be dates.

peabody 18:41 26 Mar 05

... my friend says he has done this but the cell-level formatting is being ignored. It's as though a higher level setting is over-riding the cell formatting.

VoG II 18:46 26 Mar 05

In what format are these dates being entered?

Say he has a date in A1. What does the following formula entered into a different cell return?

=ISTEXT(A1)

Noldi 18:48 27 Mar 05

How are the dates entered / . , With forward slash Full stop or comer and where is the date sitting in the cell Left Right or Center. Are you copying these dates in from a different programe. A quick check is to double click the date and see if it changes postion in the cel. If the date is sitting left its not correcly entered. I have this problem inporting dates from SAP.
Noldi

peabody 20:42 27 Mar 05

Thanks for all your responses. My pal has tried entering the dates with both / and . and gets the same problem. He has decided to re-install Excel and see if that sorts things out.

VoG - the istext(nn) test was new to me and I see what it does. However, my pal must have got a glazed look in his eyes when I started explaining this, to him technical approach and so I doubt if he will try it. But thanks all the same.

I'll close this thread on the assumption that his re-install will sort it.

Thanks again.

Muckle 21:37 27 Mar 05

Are formulas turned on? Go to tools, options, general and there should be no tick next to display formulas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now