Excel. Lookup function not the answer.

John B 10:12 14 Jan 06

I am trying to get an excel worksheet to look at another sheet and if data corresponds, insert the information in the first sheet.

Sheet1 contains about 1000 rows of data, column A has a list of 5-digit ascending numbers which are not concurrent (e.g. 12054, 12087, 13078 etc).

Sheet2 contains about 150 rows of data and again column A has a list of 5-digit ascending numbers which are not concurrent. These numbers are the same as in sheet1 (although not all of sheet1’s numbers appear in sheet2).

I want sheet1 to look at sheet2 and if sheet1 finds a number match on sheet2, enter the contents of sheet2’s column B into a column in sheet1. If no number match is found, leave the cell in sheet1 empty.

I have tried to use Lookup function which works after a fashion, but when a cell in sheet1 can’t find a match in sheet2 it enters rubbish data in the sheet1 cell.

Is there a way to do this please?

Sorry for the lengthy text but I find it difficult to describe the layout!

Thanks

John

VoG II 10:25 14 Jan 06

Along the lines of

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B5,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B5,2,FALSE))

John B 10:29 14 Jan 06

I'll give that a go and get back later.

John

John B 10:58 14 Jan 06

Thanks again VoG

That worked a treat! I spent hours yesterday trying to solve that problem. Marvellous!

Cheers

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…