Excel Lookup Function

Craig.m 13:04 21 Jul 03

I have found that the Lookup function appears to meet my requirement use in a spreadsheet. I decided to test it on a Phone Bill, created a table of 7x2 with phone numbers in the left column and names in the right, all well and good. Went to the main data (columns with Date, duration, number....etc) put in a lookup command referencing the phone number in the list and the table of names and numbers (ensuring the table reference was a static reference).

The result I got on accepting the lookup reference was unusual - the first number it looked at gave me a name from the list but not the one corresponding to it, this continued down the whole column.

I would have thought the simple lookup with just using the lookup value from a cell and value array. Have ensured the array are sorted into ascending order.

Normally I can get Excel to perform most things I want it to but this one has got me stumped.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what could have gone wrong - am using MS Excel 97 on Windows NT4.

Craig-m

Craig.m 13:25 21 Jul 03

OK after spending all that time and deciding to post, I have now sorted it out. Have had to use the VLOOKUP and put all the four parameters in and also put a False at the end of it and it seems to play quite nicely now. Still can't figure why using the simpler 2 parameter LOOKUP did not work.

Have to try a little longer next time before I post - was at tearing hair out stage, if I had any to pull out!!

Will close this now I have sorted it

Craig-m

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…