Excel Listing

osben 15:59 01 Apr 07

Hi

Using excel XP Pro

Have a list of names in one column.

Is there any way I can do a search on the column and get a list of names thrown up that have been duplicated. The search facility seems to be a bit limited.

Many thanks

VoG II 16:19 01 Apr 07

Say your list is in A1:A10. Highlight A1:A10, Format > Conditional Formatting. Change 'Cell Value Is' to 'Formula Is' and in the formula box enter

=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$10, A1)>1,TRUE,FALSE)

then click the Format button and select e.g. a red font. OK your way out. Duplicates should now be in red.

Chris the Ancient 16:30 01 Apr 07

An interesting thought came up here.

VoG™ (and I) are great lovers of ASAP utilities which is a free 'add-in' which has loads of useful menu-selectable extras of useful routines. There is a selectable 'delete duplicates' in a range - but no simple command to just highlight them!

To others reading this thread, I (and VoG™ - I hope) thoroughly recommend ASAP utilities available from...

click here

VoG II 16:40 01 Apr 07

Yes, Chris - ASAP Utilities is excellent.

I'm still finding my way around Excel 2007 but I've just found that Conditional Formatting on the Home menu allows easy highlighting of duplicates. Similarly there is an option on the Data menu to remove duplicates.

Chris the Ancient 16:57 01 Apr 07

Now that I call useful!

Perhaps one day I'll be able to afford all the upgrading :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…