Excel linked workbooks problem

tessie 12:04 03 Apr 04

Linked monthly workbooks have stopped updating and REF appears in the linked cells. An error message box reading "Excel cannot complete this task with available resourses. Choose less data or close other applications" appears. When this closes help assistant says unable to update values. The only way to get the sheets to update is to open all previous workbooks. I have gone through the help checks and nothing seems to solve the problem Can anyone help me please

VoG II 12:10 03 Apr 04

How many workbooks involved? Do they have named ranges? Which version of Excel? click here

VoG II 13:38 03 Apr 04

Via e-mail:

There are 12 workbooks. No ranges and it is XP Office pro version. Thank you for replying

==========================

Please stick to this thread - post a response at the bottom of this page. E-mail is for private correspondence between forum members.

click here is the only other MS article that I can find relating to this type of error.

I would suspect that the root cause is simply too many levels of indirection as in my first post's "click here".

The reason for #REF errors is commonly formulas that refer to named ranges that do not exist, so check the formulas carefully.

Some formulas require thye source workbook to be open (e.g. using the INDIRECT function).

Also look for phantom links click here

Failing all of the above, you could try Detect and Repair from the Help menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…