Excel help please

Taurus 13:37 26 Apr 09

I have a problem that someone may be able to help me with. I have a grid in Excel that will hold peoples names, entries being made over an extended period, and I need to create from this a list of the names and the number of times they appear in the grid. The names are such that a database of the names from to choose would be impossible to create. I am hoping that Excel will be able to copy the names from the grid as well as count them. You Guys have helped me lot in the past for which I am grateful, but I have always been sure in the past that there was an answer despite not knowing it, but this time I'm not so confident.Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

Dave

VoG II 17:10 26 Apr 09

Make sure your list of names has a heading row then select the list, Data > Filter > Advanced Filter, tick Copy to another location, enter an address for the new location (say G1), tick Unique records only and click OK.

Then (assuming the original list of names is in column A), in H2 enter

=COUNTIF(A:A,G2)

and copy the formula down as far as needed.

Taurus 19:47 26 Apr 09

Many thanks once again - VoG™ to the rescue! I haven't had chance to try it but I'm confident enogh to tick the resolved box as you've never let me down before. Again, many thanks.

Dave

(ps. Did you code the app?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…