Excel Help please

shellship 18:55 10 Jun 08

Golf scores. In one column I have the names of the players and in the next their scores. I can work out the lowest score in the column by the function MAX but I then need to know automatically the name of person with the lowest score. I am sure V0G can answer this in two flicks of a sparrow tail but i can't remember how to do it.

megapack 19:56 10 Jun 08

Shellship

Have you tried the sort option? It's found under the Data menu. You need to highlight the complete spreadsheet using CTRL + A, then under the sort option, select the column containing the scores, and choose asending or desending. that should hopefully put it in the correct order.

If you want to bring the name up automatically, then you need to use the IF statement. Let me know if you want to use that feature, as my wife uses Excel all the time.

rossgolf 20:21 10 Jun 08

Dont you need to take into consideration the Net and Gross Scores???

shellship 12:12 11 Jun 08

Thanks. Of course I should have said MIN rather than MAX to get the lowest. Will try sort -should have thought of that. Will be doing net and gross (and various other things which will utilise IF) but at this stage original problem was getting the name.

VoG II 20:37 12 Jun 08

Try

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(MIN(B:B),B:B,0))

where column A houses names and B houses scores.

shellship 21:24 12 Jun 08

Knew you could not resist a challenge. Off early tomorrow to Alma Mater but will try when I get back. Ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…