Excel graph title update automatically

boo_hiss_boo 19:52 22 Feb 05

can anyone help with an excel problem. I run graphs from a pivot table to give various combinations quickly. One table, one sheet, lots of graphs from changing the pivot table... however each time I change the graph, I have to manually change the title of the graph before I can print. Does anyone know how I can link the title of the graph to the pivot headers so that as change the pivot, the graph & title change all automatically?

VoG II 20:54 22 Feb 05

Yes, you should be able to change the title to

or wherever the title is.

boo_hiss_boo 21:05 22 Feb 05

When entering a chart title I can't enter formulas and therefore cant link to a changing cell (this was initially how I wanted to work it) but with a graph you add a fixed chart title and it won't accept links or formulas

VoG II 21:19 22 Feb 05

Just tested in Excel 2003.

Chart, Chart Options, in the title box entered

and it changes the title. You can do the same by clicking on the title, deleting everything and entering

where cell is the address where the title is.

boo_hiss_boo 21:27 22 Feb 05

I just tried the same and all it gives me is '=sales!b2' as my title. I am using office 2000 but also have tried in office xp at work.

Thanks Boo

VoG II 21:28 22 Feb 05

Remove the '

boo_hiss_boo 22:09 22 Feb 05

its not in the worksheet, I just added that here to show you what I had entered... soryy

VoG II 22:12 22 Feb 05

Click my yellow envelope. I'll send you by return a workbook (with state secrets, please keep to yourself).

VoG II 22:54 22 Feb 05

Sorry, you may need a bit of VBA to do this:

Sub boo()

ActiveChart.ChartTitle.Text = Sheets("ni").Range("b1").Value

End Sub

Press ALT + F111 to open the Visual Basic Editor. Then paste in the above but with what you want as the title.

Exit VBE, Tools/Macro/Macro, select Boo and click the Run button.

VoG II 22:55 22 Feb 05

That should be F11

boo_hiss_boo 23:07 22 Feb 05

sorry to be bugging you on this one. I tried the above and changed to

ActiveChart.ChartTitle.Text = sheets ("sales").Range("b1").Value

and I got the debug message

object variable or with block variable not set

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…