Excel functions

Newuser3477 11:26 AM 19 Sep 12

Please can someone remind me how to count the number of times a name or word appears in a spreadsheet column thanks Peter

scotty 12:39 PM 19 Sep 12

COUNTIF should do it if it is a specific word you are looking for.

Newuser3477 19:55 PM 19 Sep 12

Thanks I didn't make myself clear. It is the syntax which is defeating me. Could you give the syntax for the word chicken in column h and lines 3 to 20. Thanks

Woolwell 22:54 PM 19 Sep 12

Which version of Excel are you using? if you click on the fx at the top of the spreadsheet and find countif it will tell you the syntax.

For your purposes you need =COUNTIF(H3:H20,"chicken")

FRANKMAC 16:31 PM 20 Sep 12

I can see your question has been answered. what i was going to suggest was downloading an Excel spreadsheet from a guy named Peter Noneley i have used this sheet thousands of times, it not explains the functions, but gives working examples too. however i have just been to his site and the download is not working for some reason. this is the link below, maybe it would work for you.

if it doesnt work, then i would be more than happy to email to you.

Picklefactory 17:16 PM 21 Sep 12

I've used that for years too, and agree fully, it's a mine of useful info.

Try this link Click Here

Woolwell 17:28 PM 21 Sep 12

I assume that with no replies that the OP has fixed the problem.

FRANKMAC 19:40 PM 21 Sep 12

Hi, just been to you link and its working fine, This is also an updated version to mine, so i have downloaded that too, Many Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know