Excel Formulae please.

Furkin 08:57 AM 03 Nov 11

Hi, A simple one for you guys, I’m making a column of ‘Accountant’ numbers, that I want to alternate the colour of font and also make the previous 2 lines add up,,,, then the next,,,, then the next. It’s just a thing I’m doing for the Pub lottery, so not life threatening.

A   B

Col 1: Amount £5.00

Col 2: Balance £5.00

Col 3: Amount £4.50

Col 4: Balance £9.50

Col 5: Amount £7.00

Col 6: Balance £16.50 Etc.

I managed to make the colours alternate – to start with (Bal's in Red)

I then input =(2B+3B) then expanded it down the ‘B’ column, so that every two lines add up, (one being the previous balance).

This wiped out the colour alternations – which I can live with (I suppose) unless it can be automated.

More importantly, when I expand ‘B’ down the column, I get £16.50 at every ‘Balance’ line. This does alter when I write in the next Amount, but when I print it out, I don’t want the false balances showing.

I tried replacing the false balances with a zero, but it wiped out the formulae.

Any ideas please ?

PS: I keep losing my mouse pointer when composing these messages. Anyone else ?

Furkin 08:59 AM 03 Nov 11

Sorry,

A was supposed to be over 'Amount'

B was supposed to be over '£5.00'

Woolwell 12:14 PM 03 Nov 11

I think that you have columns and rows reversed.

I would have put the initial amount in Column B and the Balance in Column C. Then enter the new amount in the next row down in column B and adjust the balance. Initial balance C2=B2 Next balance is C2+B3 and so on.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites