Excel Formula needed for open column

wee eddie 00:04 05 Aug 14
Answered

I am trying to write a Formula, to go in the Frozen Title Bar, for the Sum of the Column below it, which is constantly growing.

For example: The Column currently runs from C3 to C46, so the Formula reads =Sum(C3:C46)

However, tomorrow I will add an unknown number of items so the Formula will now need to read =Sum(C3:C??) where '??' is an unknown and changes on a daily basis.

What symbol do I put into the Formula, in place of the ??, to achieve this throughout the year.

hastelloy 08:18 05 Aug 14

I would have a total (say =C3:C54) in cell C55. Then your frozen cell would be =C55.

As you add rows your total in C55 would increase to accommodate the extra rows and your frozen cell formula will change as well.

wee eddie 09:23 05 Aug 14

Marvin: Sorry, I must have explained badly.

The Total needs to be at the Top of the Column and the Column grows longer every the day, as more items are added. So although there is a bottom, it is constantly extending.

Woolwell 09:41 05 Aug 14
Answer

Simply make the. Last number 1000. It will ignore blanks.

wee eddie 11:59 05 Aug 14

Thank you, it works.

Although I'm sure that there is some form of Symbol one can enter

compumac 21:38 05 Aug 14

I have a number of spreadsheets with a total figure in the frozen title bar adding the contents of the cells below. The cells below change and more cells are added. I have simply set the range from the first cell to a numbered line well below what I might expect to use, as per Woolwell's post.

hastelloy 09:11 06 Aug 14

wee eddie

You explanation was fine - perhaps I didn't explain very well as my solution works. However, compumac's solution will work just as well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…