Excel files wont open!

SDJ 11:06 27 Sep 03

This is the second time it has happened.
Someone at work saves an excel file, emails it and when the recipient trys to open it Excel opens and says invalid file format.

The file is definatley saved as xxxx.xls it has an excel icon and seems ok.
The only way to open it is through Word, I then copy and past the contents to Excel and do a little formatting to get it right.

Any suggestions?

VoG II 11:09 27 Sep 03

Sounds to me like the file is corrupt click here

krypt1c 11:14 27 Sep 03

Are you sure it's really is an xls file ? The file extension doesn't mean it really is an excel format file. The fact that it opens in word suggest it's a word format file that's been renamed to xls. Whoever is creating the original file may be creating a doc file, then renaming it to an xls file in the mistaken belief that the file format is now xls. file1.doc renamed to file1.xls is still a word file

SDJ 11:23 27 Sep 03

Thanks guys.

Knowing the common sence of certain individuals in my office it is totally viable that the creator of the file is doing it in word with tables etc and as the recipient has requested it for us ein excel they are saving it with an .xls extension.

I will ask the question

Cheers both of you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…