Excel File Size

RickB 16:20 08 Jul 08

Hi - i am running a multi page Excel 2003 workbook that currently sizes at 5.8 meg. In an effort to reduce the file size i have tried deleting a couple of sheets that are no longer used, and the file size increases!! Is there any way of "compacting" the file? I have tried saving, shutting and reopening but that doesn't make any difference.

Thanks

Rick

crosstrainer 16:45 08 Jul 08

Why do you need to shrink it? Is it for portability reasons? If so, why not use a DVD-RW disc? You can update / overwrite as required, and I've never seen a 4.7GB spreadsheet yet!

RickB 17:34 08 Jul 08

I have to keep it to a size that can be emailed to lots of people worldwide, many of whom cannot accept large attachments.

Rick

crosstrainer 06:18 09 Jul 08

You could try winzip self extractor, but it's not free.

click here

Ditch999 11:49 09 Jul 08

Create a new blank work book.
Open the one with the data in it and select all the sheets you require by holding down the CTRL key and clicking on the tabs at the bottom.
Right click on the tabs at the bottom of the sheets you selected to be copied.
Select Move or Copy
In the drop down box select the new workbook you opened (Book 2)
Put a tick in the Create a Copy box (this will keep the data in the original workbook as well)
Then click OK
You should now have the required sheets in a new workbook which you need to save.
You can then zip it if it is still too big.

Ditch999 11:53 09 Jul 08

To easily zip it, right click on the file in My Documents or wherever it is saved, and select Send To>Compressed Folder.

RickB 12:28 09 Jul 08

Thanks guys - always appreciate your help.

Rick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…