Excel file doesn't open from the desktop anymore

pj123 18:00 20 Sep 05

I have an excel file that I use almost daily. I put it on my Desktop as a shortcut. Up until about three days ago whenever I needed to use it I double clicked it and it opened in MS Excel. Now when I double click it all I get is:

"The windows installer failed to install the program associated with this file. Please contact your system administrator."

If I open excel first and then go to File, Open, and select the file I want (the same as the desktop shortcut) it opens with no problem.

I have tried putting another excel file on the Desktop as a shortcut but get another message as

"The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Microsoft Office Professional disk and click OK".

What has happened?

GaT7 18:06 20 Sep 05

Strange behaviour indeed. Try an Office repair. G

pj123 12:30 21 Sep 05

Problem now fixed. A repair didn't work so I uninstalled Office and reinstalled.

All seems OK.

Thanks. Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…