Excel Expert Needed

Sibbo 11:48 06 Jun 06

I have a 2 page spreadsheet. The first page called Debits, contains the cost of items that I have bought on ebay. The second page, called Credits, contains the costs of items that I have sold on ebay. On the second page I have a cell that calculates my overall balance (outgoings minus the credits). I would like to know if there is a formula that I can enter into this cell that would show the result in the colour red, if I've spent more than I've gained, and black if the opposite is true. At present, I manually chage the colour of the text. Can it be done? Thanks in advance.

Jackcoms 11:52 06 Jun 06

Highlight the cell and then go to Format; Cells.

Under Category, choose Currency.

You will see that there are options in red to choose from if the result of the cell is a negative figure.

Jackcoms 11:54 06 Jun 06

P.S. I'm not an "Excel Expert" - but my suggestion should answer your question. ;-)

Sibbo 12:00 06 Jun 06

Thanks for the reply mate, tried it but it didn't work don't know why (obviously)

Jackcoms 12:03 06 Jun 06

Is the cell actually a negative at the moment?

That is, have you spent more than you've earned?

Sibbo 12:07 06 Jun 06

Yes, it's definitely a negative! lol

VoG II 12:10 06 Jun 06

Jackom's suggestion should work.

The alternative is to select the cell, Format > Conditional Formatting. The left box should say 'Cell value is'; in the next box choose 'Less than' and in the third box enter 0. Click the Format button, change the colour to red and then OK your way out.

Monoux 12:12 06 Jun 06

I know this may sound silly but you did click on the option Format/Cells Number then on the example in red with a minus sign next to it ?

Sibbo 12:14 06 Jun 06

Thanks, that's changed it to red. Now to try and make some money to see if it turns to black. Thanks again.

Monoux 12:14 06 Jun 06

Vog -- Where were you today ? Five replies and nearly twenty minutes B4 you came on the scene
You're slipping :0)

Sibbo 12:18 06 Jun 06

OOPS! Trouble. I've just put a dummy figure in to see if it would change. It did, the whole cell was filled with red, and no number!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…