Excel Chart - Specifying the X Axis

DJM 16:47 14 Oct 03

I'm sure this is a really simple problem but I just can't remember what to do!

Basically I have some simple data in the form of 2 columns. I can make it into a chart but the data I want on the X axis always ends up on the Y axis (and vice versa). How do I tell the computer that I want the data the other way round? I've been fiddling around with this for ages now and am feeling a bit stupid!

Thanks

DJM

VoG II 18:02 14 Oct 03

Excel expects the X data to be in the left column and Y data in the right.

If this is not the case, when you have created the chart, activate it (click on it) and select Chart from the Menu bar and select Source data.

On the Series tab, enter the correct ranges in the X-Values and Y-Values boxes.

DJM 10:43 20 Oct 03

Sorry for the slow response to you!

I've tried both those and no matter what the data always come out the same way round!

I've given up now (it is for some college work and I have to hand it in later today) and have made the simple graph out of a Word table.

Thanks for you help though.

dotterel 21:00 21 Oct 03

Excel is extremely counter intuitive when it comes to doing simple x-y scattergraphs. I have worked out how to do it in the past and it took me forever, but didn't write it down, and now I've forgotten! Doh! DJM you have my sympathy!

AndyJ 22:43 21 Oct 03

If you're using the data in the form of chart type "Column", just use chart type "Bar" instead.

DJM 16:27 22 Oct 03

I was trying to do a line graph but have decided that it wasn't worth the effort!

Thanks for the help though.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…