Excel Chart Configuration

aitch2 17:38 27 Aug 07

Bank Holiday Monday and decided to update all my charted finances. Have no problems with using the chart wizard in Excel or working with charts and achieving what I want...but I cannot seem to be able to get the dates to show on the chart axis (X) as they appear in the data range. Have tried all combinations on the Format Axis menus, even tried the 'custom' and 'linked to source' but to no avail. So for eg: (year) 2000 through to 2007 I get combinations of Jan00 for each year, instead of the respective individual years. I also get the same problem if I try to do the months eg: September 05, April 06, September 06, April 07 etc. Any suggestions as to what I am missing or doing wrong?
Any help much appreciated, Aitch

VoG II 17:46 27 Aug 07

Try this

Right click white chart area, choose "Chart Options"

On Axes Tab, under Category (X) axis

Click "Category" instead of "Automatic" or time-scale"

aitch2 19:34 27 Aug 07

Thanks for the reply VOG. Some success in your suggestions, doesn't work if I choose automatic or categaory but does work if I choose time scale so whilst I have now been able to get the format I want ie; years in one example, and months in the other, I have now lost my my data line as soon as I implented the changes, so I have no visible trend. If I revert back to previous, then I can regain the data line, but... you guessed it, I've lost the format on the dateline axis again. Aitch

VoG II 20:06 27 Aug 07

I think that the easiest way to get around this is to create a helper column to use as your X-axis. For example if you have dates in Column A then insert a column B and in B1 enter

=TEXT(A1,"mmm yy")

and copy the formula down. If you use these for the X-axis as Category values the chart should appear correctly.

aitch2 20:11 27 Aug 07

Thanks again I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Cheers, Aitch

aitch2 18:37 28 Aug 07

Hi VoG, Thanks for the suggestions, your work around formula did the trick. Unfortunately, as with all finances you can now see where she has spent it all!!
Regards, Aitch

VoG II 18:41 28 Aug 07

Thanks for the feedback :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5