Excel cells not retaining formulae

Cuthbertkat 13:36 10 Aug 04

I have several excel files saved to a floppy disc.
Recently I have had to put the formulae in every time I open the files as it does not seem to save and carry forward. Advice please.

cherria 15:12 10 Aug 04

Are you sure they are saving as excel files, i.e. with a .xls ending.

If you are inadvertantly saving them as text files i.e with a .csv ending, they may look like excel files, with an excel icon but when saved, the formulas will convert to text and you will lose the formulas.

open one, click file save-as and make sure the file type reads excel workbook

Cuthbertkat 11:08 11 Aug 04

Yes they are saving as xls.

Simsy 11:25 11 Aug 04

Are you saving them directly onto the disc as Excel files, or are you "zipping" them and saving the zip files to floppy?

If the letter then when you "open" them you may be opening a version of the file that has been extracted to a temp folder. Unless you resave this into the zip/archive file I would expect the symptons you are experiencing.

If no zipping is involved then I'm at a loss. It sounds as if it's a "saving" problem, but I'm afraid I have no answer!

good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

VoG II 11:32 11 Aug 04

Do you mean that the formula cells are blank or that the formulas are replaced with the calculated values?

Does the same thing happen if you save them to your hard drive?

Cuthbertkat 12:29 11 Aug 04

Dear Vog

Firstly the files are not zipped as Simsy suggested.

The cells are not blank, the previous amounts are still there from the week before. If you click on the formulated cell the formula shows in the edit formula bar, but the formulas no longer work. They don't add, subtract, mutiply etc and each week I have to re-formulate and the following time I open the file they don't work again. Can this have anything to do with the fact that the disc is near to capacity? Should I copy and paste them elsewhere? I'm getting really frustrated as they add time to my work.

Cuthbertkat 12:40 11 Aug 04

Just tried saving to hard disc, put in formula again, saved it. Came out of file and when I went back in that wasn't working either.

VoG II 12:47 11 Aug 04

Go into Tools/Options, Calculation tab and check that calculation is set to Automatic.

Cuthbertkat 14:40 11 Aug 04

Thanks VoG Shall try that. I didn't even know there were settings for calculation. I have been using excel on PC's and also Macs for several years and never before has this happened. Appreciate your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…