Excel Attachment won't open

bruno4 14:20 01 May 03

I have Excel 2000 running on Windows 98SE. For some months now, when I get an e-mail or want to open a file, when i click on the Excel icon attachment, a message appears telling me the file "could not be found". I then have to "open" Excel itself via the Programmes menu, click "open" on the tool bar, select the path where the attachment is, and then click and hey presto"! The file opnes. Therefore, to summarise, I can't open attachments direct. I've tried the inbox repair tool but it asks me to insert the Ecel C.D which got lost in a move from the U.K to the U.S.A where I now live

Thanks in anticipation.

cherria 09:18 02 May 03

It sounds to me like your file association for .xls files has lost the location of excel.

in explorer, locate an excel file, right click on it, select open with then rather than selecting excel from the application list, click browse and track down your excel.exe application. select this and you should be ok from there.

If you don't have an open with option (I can't remember if its there in 98se in explorer, select tools-folder options - file types then find microsoft excel worksheet (.xls) click edit, select the open action, click edit, click browse and again track down the excel.exe application file. ok all the way back and that should reset the association.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…