Excel 97 Relative Referencing

emperor 13:51 27 Feb 03

I want to be able to address an arbitrary cell C, the identity of which will depend on the result of a different cell, V.
In a formula a cell reference can be used and the value in that cell is then used in the calculation. My question is whether or not the cell reference for cell V can be used in cell C's reference, so that the value in cell V is used to define the target cell.
Example: for value in cell V = 3
target cell C is in column E
so target cell is E3
Can I use a cell reference for C that incorporates column E and cell reference for V?
If that is not explained very well, I apologise and will try to do better next time.
I want to avoid lookup tables if possible so that the method is as simple and widely applicable as possible

Ste R 62 16:45 27 Feb 03

Think i know what you mean try using the formula 'INDIRECT'.

If you have a set of values in cells A1:A3 and using the value in cell A4 as the reference point and the result to output in cell A5

in A5 you would input =INDIRECT("A"&A4)

if A4 = 2 this would return the value inputted in cell A2.

Hope this makes sense, probably not but try experimenting with INDIRECT and using the help in excel, its a very useful formula for refenceing.

emperor 20:16 27 Feb 03

Thanks for the interest.

I shall look at this tomorrow. I confess I am not familiar with INDIRECT.

I find that I have a problem with the help utility in that it is most useful if you know what they would call the thing you are looking for.

VoG™ 21:28 27 Feb 03

Have a look at this excellent download for explanations of INDIRECT and a lot more besides click here

emperor 12:53 28 Feb 03

VoG™, Thanks for the link. It looks very useful and not just for this question.

I am still looking at INDIRECT so I will not tick this as resolved yet. I am really just flagging up that I have seen the responses and am grateful for them.

emperor 13:31 28 Feb 03

Ste R 62

It does what I want. Thanks very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…