Excel 97 opening duplicate files

Squeals 21:55 30 Jul 03

At work one particular file on our network has taken to opening up twice each time it is accessed (whether from the recently used file list in Excel, open command in Excel or via Explorer). The file is a simple spreadsheet with two worksheets compiled in Excel 97 on a WindowsNT 4.0 PC.

I am concerned that some of my less well versed colleagues accessing the file may inadvertently make changes in both copies and cause some form of weird corruption - yet to have time to try this out to see if this is a valid concern!

Why has it suddenly taken to opening up a copy? And, more importantly, how can I stop it?

Advice greatly appreciated.

VoG II 22:07 30 Jul 03

Are you sure it is opening the file twice - this should not be possible.

If you look on the title bar does it show something like

MYFILE.XLS:1 and MYFILE.XLS:2

If so somebody has gone to Window/New Window and then saved the file. You are basically getting 2 views of the same file.

Squeals 23:20 30 Jul 03

You are quite correct - if I look under the Window drop down menu it shows the filename suffixed by :1 and then repeated suffixed by :2.

I have not been able to find anything about how to permanently close the second view. I assume I just need to close it as normal, resave and when I (or a colleague) next opens the file there will be only one view? Seems to work in Excel 2000 (as used at home).

Thanks for your help on this VoG it's very much appreciated by those of who don't always have the time to wade through the manuals and knowledge bases!!

All the best

Simon a.k.a "Squeals"

VoG II 23:40 30 Jul 03

To get rid of this annoyance when in Excel, click on the grey X (not the one right at the top, the one just beneath it). Then save the file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…