EXCEL 2010 Quirk Copy Paste

Terry Brown 17:20 PM 16 Feb 13

Using Excel 2010, I noticed what I can only call a 'Quirk'

Try this:Enter

Cell a1 enter 5

Cell a2 enter 6

Cell a3 enter 7

Cell a4 enter calculation =sum(a1:c1) and you will get 18, which is correct.

Now copy the contents of cell a4 to cell a5 and you get 31, as the formula has changed to =sum(b1:d1).

The same applies if you do =a1+a2+a3.

Is there a way to stop this apart from using absolutes?.

Woolwell 17:42 PM 16 Feb 13

Shouldn't cell A4 be sum(a1:a3)? Sum (a1:c1) if there is nothing in columns b and c should result in 5.

Woolwell 17:49 PM 16 Feb 13

Absolutes are for this sort of thing.

Simsy 19:34 PM 16 Feb 13

What you can do is;

Instead of copying the cell itself, select the cell you want to copy, and select and copy the contents of the formula bar. You can then paste this to a different cell and the contents wont have changes, becasue what you have actually copied is a line of text, not a cell.

Terry Brown 09:54 AM 17 Feb 13

The only way I found it was developing a small accounting program, I decided to leave a cell space between the data entered and the calculation to make it clearer,so I cut and pasted the calculations to the right by one cell, and noticed the diference.

I have now sorted the problem by inserting a blank row between the data and the calculation, however it would be very easy to make an error this way without realising what had happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…