Excel 2003 Auto Update

johnincrete 16:52 PM 29 Sep 11

This is linked to other post about printing.

If I create subsidiary spreadsheets by copy/paste selected columns, is there any way to automatically update the relevent cells in the subsidiary spreadsheets if the corresponding cell in the master sheet is changed?

In the same way, if a row is deleted, can the corresponding row in the subsidiary sheets be automatically deleted. Similarly, if a row is added in the master sheet, can it be automatically added to all subsidiaries

mgmcc 19:51 PM 29 Sep 11

Yes. You don't Copy/Paste the data from the Master sheet to the Subsidiary sheet, you Link the data.

With both sheets open, click a cell in the Subsidiary sheet and type = then go to the cell in the Master sheet that it needs to link to and press Enter. Now any changes to the cell in the Master sheet will update automatically in the Subsidiary sheet. If the Master sheet isn't open when you launch the Subsidiary sheet, you will be prompted to Update the linked cells, which can be done without opening the Master sheet.

mgmcc 19:57 PM 29 Sep 11

"Similarly, if a row is added in the master sheet, can it be automatically added to all subsidiaries"

Not aware of a simple way to do that because the Link won't exist in the subsidiary sheet. It may be possible but is beyond my mediocre knowledge! A macro or some programming might be required.

johnincrete 15:14 PM 30 Sep 11

Thanks mgmcc. I am wondering if its the best way to go

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites