Exasperated over C#, C++ and Visual BASIC

TuxerTony 15:43 04 Dec 04

Having just read many of the threads on C++, Visual BASIC and the like, I'd be interested to hear why people who are not and never aspire to be professional programmers do not use something a lot more easy to use and results-oriented, as I do. I have tried Java, C++ and C#, and find them all totally overblown, and an exasperating pain in the backside to do precisely what I want with.

I use the excellent, perfectly documented 'BBC BASIC for Windows' by RT Russell. Windows API calls are all documented, as is: Direct3D interfacing, using MIDI, embedding Intel Assembler.

I'm an Oxford graduate mathematician, and do some pretty complicated things in s/w ( see click here ), and I don't like the turgidity of the language getting in the way of what I'm trying to achieve.

Any comments?

spargo 17:54 04 Dec 04

Having grown up so to speak with BBC Basic I do agree it is the best implementation of the language and so easy to use. I have still got a Strong Arm RISC PC and do use it sometimes.
Not having tried the Windows version of BBC Basic I cannot comment on that but if the implementation is as good as the original was then I am very tempted to try it.

TuxerTony 19:04 04 Dec 04

... I also used the original throughout the '80's, and the modern version does all that the old one does, plus all the Windows interface mullarky. With Assembler routines chucked in, it also enables you to use the full power of a modern 2GHz PC.
As a mathematician, I'm able to do some much more SERIOUS number-crunching very quickly indeed compared with what I would attempt with those old machines. Solving the surface wave equations in 2 dimensions to work out what moving water-waves look like takes a lot of serious grunt; working out a Fourier-Bessel integral numerically thousands upon thousands of times, for EACH time-point, in fact.

Alan2 19:21 04 Dec 04

Like Spargo I did a lot of programming using BBC Basic in the 80s some of which was very useful to me in structural engineering and naval architecture as it was so accessible, intuitive and fast (for its time).

I still have listings for some programs I wrote in the 80s (3D transformations) and I too am tempted to resurrect them using "the latest implementation".

I now wish I'd kept the well-thumbed, tagged and dog-eared programming manuals!

TuxerTony 19:39 04 Dec 04

... even in the demo version (which you can download from my site) the FULL manual is included in the "HELP" facility in the GUI. Absolutely no need to have a printed version.

spargo 10:14 05 Dec 04

I,m the lucky one, like any other 'hoarder' I still have all the Manuals, even the 6502 ones. I must start dropping hints with Xmas coming!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…