Exam questions

iqs 19:03 15 Mar 09

Hi,

I have been doing a number of mock CompTIA A+ exams,and came across a few errors...

Two questions I answered correctly I thought,were wrong?

The first,How many wires on a SATA controller cable.I said 7,but the answer was 8.

Second,how many devices can you connect to a SCSI host adapter,I said 15...14 devices and and 1 adapter card...The answer was 16?.

Your thoughts please

dalek111 19:17 15 Mar 09

their answers are right...

SATA offers several compelling advantages over the older parallel ATA interface: reduced cable-bulk and cost (8 pins vs 40 pins), faster and more efficient data transfer, and the ability to remove or add devices while operating (hot swapping).

SCSI is a peripheral interface: up to 8 or 16 devices can be attached to a single bus. There can be any number of hosts and peripheral devices but there should be at least one host.

iqs 20:18 15 Mar 09

thanks for the help.

I read something similar ,but according to this link it states 8 pins,but the image states 7 pins and a coding notch??
click here

dalek111 20:28 15 Mar 09

oh yeah, i didnt see the pic... dont know, tough one

PalaeoBill 20:36 15 Mar 09

I have a dead SATA data cable in my junk drawer (you never know when bits of it might come in handy). I can confirm that it has only seven conductors and the connectors have only seven pins.
The SATA specification also states there are only seven conductors, two Tx/Rx pairs and 3 grounds.
Any clever people out there know why the exam question says 8?

DieSse 20:38 15 Mar 09

SATA cabling.

click here

DieSse 20:45 15 Mar 09

SCSI

click here#

Appears to be 16 connectors - 15 devices and the connection port.

DieSse 20:46 15 Mar 09

"Any clever people out there know why the exam question says 8?"

They seem to be wrong.

interzone55 21:25 15 Mar 09

There's 8 wires in SATA cable, the two central wires are both grounds and are soldered on to Pin 4.

I have no clue why this is done.

click here

DieSse 22:47 15 Mar 09

Since the specification only calls for 7 wires, then the correct answer must be 7.

If manufacturers choose to use an 8 wire cable and common two of them together, that's neither here nor there. They might by the same token, use a 9 wire cable and common 3 of them together. That wouldn't make it a 9 wire connection.

Pine Man 10:17 16 Mar 09

'How many wires on a SATA controller cable'

That is the question. No mention of connectors, pins or anything other than cable AND how many wires are in that cable - exactly 8. No matter how they are dealt with at the start or end of the cable there are 8 wires.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…