ex-xbox hard drive

john-a 23:41 15 Sep 06

i have a maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120Gb HDD that came out of a broken XBOX. model 6Y120L0, ATA/133.

when i plugged into the IDE slave positon my BIOS can see it correctly but windows xp wont boot from the usual master. i get a blue screen error message. when i install it as the master it is also not recognized but the boot stops without a blue screen. it gets hot like all drives so i think it is spinning.
MAXTOR's [powermax?] native boot disk diagnostics cant read it either nor run any tests or factory setups.

this is a valuable bit of kit if i can get it working.

rumour has it that MS "locked" or doctored these standard drives for xbox use; anyone got a fix for this problem? whats the trick here friends?

john-a 00:19 16 Sep 06

no takers then?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:47 16 Sep 06

click here

An EPROM chip on the motherboard contains the password that unlocks the hard drive. Without a working motherboard there are two ways to go about reviving the drive, the only way to get the password from a dead motherboard is to de-solder the EPROM chip and read it, another way to go would be to remove the EPROM chip on the hard drive and flash that with an unlocked image from another drive. If the password is retrieved from the chip on the motherboard, then using utilities it is possible to provide the password to the drive. In my experience there is no universal software solution for unlocking the drive unless the password is known.

However also have a read here approx halfway down page click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…