Ex HD is Fat 32 should I reformat to NTFS

Miros 14:06 18 Dec 06

My fairly new External Hard Drive I have just discovered is FAT 32 and my PC hard drive is NTFS. Would it be advisable to have them both NTFS?

If so can anyone please advise how to proceed with the reformat of my External Hard Drive.

Probabilitydrive 14:08 18 Dec 06

To choose whats right: click here

To carry out the good deed: click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 18 Dec 06

No need to format XP will read FAT32 ok, advantge of FAT32 is i can be read on an older operating susyetm.

NTFS is just a slightly better way of organising files.

If you really want NTFS and already have data on the drive, formatting will lose all data however you can convert the drive without losing the data.

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your E: drive, you would type 'Convert E: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Miros 16:52 18 Dec 06

Well I followed your instructions as above.I presume that the Drive stays in FAT 32. got a migrain coming on must close will be back

I am Spartacus 19:08 18 Dec 06

Another advantage of NTFS is that you can store files larger than 4GB e.g. large video files. Also disk images will be a single file rather than split over a number of files.

woodchip 19:36 18 Dec 06

If you do not have a Fat32 Computer then format as NTFS. as if you do Video Editing you can create Video files over 4Gb. You have a limit with Fat32

woodchip 19:37 18 Dec 06

Sorry did not read the last post

Miros 09:06 19 Dec 06

Please excuse me, that migraine is still with me, unable to concentrate on the info at the moment but thanks to everyone, will get back to it later.

At least I think I know what to do now but think it better to leave until my head is clearer.

Miros 10:09 20 Dec 06

*Fruit Bat /\0/Well I followed your instructions as above. I presume that the Drive stays in FAT 32. got a migraine coming on must close will be back *.....

I was unable to reply properly due to that migraine ( could barely see to type that entry at the time) see above. I'm OK now but having as I thought carried out your instructions I find I was went wrong somewhere, tried again and was still getting error message's.

I think my Ex' HD is controlled by Paragon Hard Disk Manager, and Acronis which are both being used in my external drive! Perhaps I should leave well alone, as it would appear that all is OK at the moment.

Any advice would be welcome is there much to be gained by the change over from FAT 32 to NTFS ?

woodchip 20:35 20 Dec 06

If it's stable and does all you want, NO

Miros 23:01 20 Dec 06

Thanks Woodchip think I'll do just that, leave well alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017