.EX_ file extension

Munchkin 21:35 26 Apr 05

My new computer is playing up on me straight from new ! I have a Dell Dimension 5000 and an All-In-One Dell 922 printer. On boot up I keep getting an error message in relation to the button monitor (relating to the control panel on the printer). On checking out the details in the error report, the problem appears to be related to a file with a .EX_ extension. I managed to find a site on the internet which informed me that some installation programs have .EX_ file extensions which are a zipped version of a .EXE file. I still haven't been able to resolve the problem. The scan button on the printer is meant to bring up the software on the PC, but the button doesn't seem to respond to anything. I can still operate the scan function via the PC though ! Could there be a functional problem with the button on the printer control panel ? Is there even any way of getting rid of the error message which appears on every boot up ?

Pesala 23:21 26 Apr 05

Try reinstalling the drivers for your printer/scanner/copier.

Munchkin 23:48 26 Apr 05

I've already tried that ! I even returned the system to it's "out-of-the-box" status and started from scratch, but I'm still getting the error message

Micro-Man 15:54 27 Apr 05

You can always try the 'extract' command using a command prompt then rename the file to a .exe extension. Type extract /? to find what to do.

mgmcc 16:15 27 Apr 05

Purely as an example, to replace the CMD.exe file (the Command Prompt file) in the C:\Windows\System32\ folder from the C:\i386 folder, the command would be:

expand c:\i386\cmd.ex_ c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…