Is Ewido being too fussy.

Meshuga 14:42 13 Feb 06

Microsoft anti spyware beta1 ran according to its schedule and found nothing. I then immediately ran Ewido which came up with 7 infected objects which showed as tracking cookies. This is not the first time this has happened. Do I concude from this that either the microsoft prog is no good, or, that ewido is over fussy about some things that do not present a threat?

Gongoozler 14:57 13 Feb 06

Tracking cookies are fairly harmless, so perhaps Microsoft anti spyware didn't consider them worth reporting.

rmcqua 15:01 13 Feb 06

I ususally use Spybot Search & Destroy, which ran this morning with a "clean" result. After reading your post I thought I would experiment with Ewido (it's a while since I used it). Downloaded it, scanned and it found 3 serious problems. I'm inclined to believe Ewido, but there must be someone out there with more experience....

Meshuga 15:18 13 Feb 06

Thanks Gongoozler, that was my thought too.

Thank you rmcqua, I use Spybot and adaware too and they come up with nothing. You would think that there would be a standard for the level of a threat. I`ll let this run for a bit and see what others might think.

Skills 15:21 13 Feb 06

Yes MS program does not scan cookies as it does not consider them to be a prob whereas ewido does. It just one of those things some spyware apps scan for cookies some dont

Meshuga 15:47 13 Feb 06

Thanks Skills, I`ll tick it resolved.

ade.h 16:49 13 Feb 06

I took on Ewido recently, on someone else's recommendation, and I was quite glad that I did. It found a malicious file that MS AS Beta and Ad-Aware had missed in scans that same day.

Just goes to show that three is not always a crowd when it comes to malware.

birddog 16:57 13 Feb 06

ewido did ask if i wanted ps guard removed, i clicked ok, but later when i checked with xoftspy, it was still there.
regards,
birddog

Meshuga 16:58 13 Feb 06

Hi ade.h, I agree with you there. I`ve been laughed at for running 5 progs, but you can`t have too many even if it seems ott.

Skills 17:03 13 Feb 06

I have four antispyware apps running, plus spywareblaster and the usual AV and firewall, as you say Meshuga you cant have too many

flimbo 17:32 13 Feb 06

I had a go with Ewido recently. It never fond anything on my PC but wanted to remove my soundcard drivers. Go figure.
I'll stick with Adaware, Spybot and ASquared.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…