ewido anti-malware good or bad?

saintorsinner 13:34 04 Mar 06

iv just tried "ewido anti-malware" on my comp and it found 20 malware files ranging from "downloader.adload.9" "not- a virus. monitor" and "spy/sheriff" etc.i was very surprised as i had just checked comp with ad-aware and spybot s&d which both came up clear. is ewido i genuine good product or has anyone heard anything bad?

VoG II 13:59 04 Mar 06

It is a genuine good product.

rawprawn 14:02 04 Mar 06

Very good

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:06 04 Mar 06

excellent

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 04 Mar 06

excellent

Spysheriff
is malware and should not be used to clean a PC from spyware/ adware/ malware.

It's pretty bad e.g. if you try to use System Restore you will find that Spysheriff erased your restore points, so that won't work.

Instead follow these steps:

1. Open task manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del, and click on the "Processes" tab. Look for Spysheriff there and kill the process if you see it. If you see a process named "winstall" (winstall.exe) then delete this one also.

2. In the control panel goto "Add/ Remove Programs" and remove the "SpySheriff" program. If it says that it cannot uninstall, then you still have it running. It will uninstall once it's not running.

3. Your desktop background will not be restored by that uninstall. Go into the registry by starting RegEdit.exe from the start button

4. Look for this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

It will have about 6 values stored that disable certain things. Delete this whole branch ActiveDesktop - the system will work with default values afterwards.
Also delete this branch in your registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

5. Look in your root directory for a file named winstall.exe. Mine was in c:\ and 24064 Bytes in size.
This file is scheduled to execute each time you boot and it will re-install Spysheriff.
Delete that file.
Update:
there may also be additional executable files that were created at the same time as winstall.exe. T
those files may be named 'winstall.exe' and 'ibm00001.exe'.
You should delete those files as well.
If you have this file ibm0001.exe please see the other article regarding ibm0001.exe. at click here

6. Restart your system.

Done.

john-232317 14:08 04 Mar 06

Very good, finds stuff others dont.

ade.h 16:45 04 Mar 06

It does indeed. Beat MS Beta to the punch recently.

saintorsinner 18:53 04 Mar 06

thanks for the reasurance - ill add ewido to my regular scans
thanks again

Superstylin 20:05 04 Mar 06

i just downloaded and used it and it found 22 instances of malware 1 of which, a downloader, was categorised as high risk. this was after scanning with spybot and adaware.

i think i'll continue using it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5