Evesham and Windows Media Player v.10

snushall 16:41 08 Jun 06

I have experienced problems with a new Evesham PC, running Windows Media Center 2005 Edition, over the last 2-3 weeks.
I have less than full functionality with WMP v.10 - unable to open library, rip or burn audio (using front screen tabs) without "system encountering a problem and needing to close".
Have spent hours on the phone to Evesham Technical Support. On their instructions, I have removed and reinstalled WMP(twice now), removed selective anti-virus and spyware software ... and, as from yesterday, my internet connection. I have reluctantly restored the PC to it's factory settings (twice in last 24 hours, using PC Angel Lite) The WMP problem still persists however. Evesham now suggest that Creative Media Source Player (supplied with pre-installed Creative X-Fi soundcard) is possibly conflicting with WMP? Don't understand why they would release both products to me if this were the case? Have friends that successfully use both products with Creative Zens etc
Has anyone experienced similar problems with WMP and Creative's MS Player on a Media Center 2005 system?
Very frustrated with all this, and losing patience with Evesham. Have rang them every day this week. Have just agreed to a possible return of the processor if yet further call to Evesham tomorrow (again at my time and expense) does not yield cause of problems. We're intending to review relevant error messages ... but can't help thinking that we'll be revisiting old ground that we're already covered in the last few days!
Please help ... Evesham are suggesting that I might be without the PC for up to 10 days if this is not resolved tomorrow!!

ade.h 18:09 08 Jun 06

You state that you have removed and reinstalled WMP twice; this is only possible if you have acquired version 10 as an update or a download, and even then, it is sometimes not present in the list of installed updates (a well known and so far neglected bug).

So have you got ver10 as an update from Windows Update? Or is your operating system revision recent enough to include ver10 as standard? Is ver10 listed among your installed updates? Look in "Change or Remove Programs".

If it is included in the build, the closest that you can come to removing it is to deselect it from "Add/Remove Windows Components". But... deselecting any Windows component does not uninstall it, but only removes access to it and all references to it. When you come to select it again, no files are changed.

Even manually downloading ver10 and attempting to overwrite the current installation will achieve nothing; if ver10 is already present, you will be told that you already have it and the installation process will stop.

realist 19:32 08 Jun 06

I too have an Evesham system (2 months old) with a Creative soundcard.
I did experience some annoyances and lack of functionality with WMP10 but eventually things seem to have settled down. However my OS is XP Home.
These sorts of conflicts happen and as they are software related you might be advised to hang in there and see if things resolve themselves?

ade.h 22:44 08 Jun 06

?

snushall 11:47 09 Jun 06

Thanks folks for your input.
Following a further call to Evesham Technical Support today, it seems likely that my WMP v.10 problems are due to my having been supplied with an out-of-date driver for my nvidia g-force 7900 graphics card ... that also came pre-installed.(Current driver is nv4_disp.dll, version no. 6.14.0010.8421[english])
This remains to be tested, and I've agreed to download the appropriate software from my work PC later today and have ETS talk me through its installation.
Still can't believe that it's taken this long to resolve a problem that Evesham could have reasonably foreseen. If it fails, I'm mindful to reject the PC and seek redress for the inconvenience (some 14 calls to Support now this month alone)
Keeping my fingers crossed ...
Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017