Evesham Evolution or Dell Dimension

CodeMeister 19:56 28 Oct 03

Hi

I need to buy a new computer and have narrowed it down to either an Evesham Evolution Blue Lightning or a Dell Dimension.

Does anyone have any views on either of these systems ?

One major criteria is that I don't want it to be noisy as it's going to be in a living room.

Magazine reviews never seem to mention how noisy a PC is.

I think Dell have a way of routing the air straight out of the back of the case, negating the need for an extra fan which should make it quieter.

Would the Dell be less upgradable with them using proprietory motherboards ?

I'm a bit concerned about the Dell "Clam" design case which means that cables have to stretch from one side to the other when it is opened on its hinge.

I want to use the system primarily for programming with Visual Studio .Net and would be looking for a P4 2.8 Ghz, 1Gb RAM and a decent graphics card.

I'm not interested in gaming so something like a
Radeon ATI 9800 (non pro) graphics card would suffice.

I'd like to source the monitor elsewhere as the brand new 17" LG Flatron with 16ms response time looks quite cool and seem better than the Philips (Evesham) and Dell flat panel monitors.

Does anyone know how long it will take for the considerable price reductions on Pentium 4 processors that Intel made over the weekend to filter down to PC prices ?

Any advice would be most welcomed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac