evesham desktop upgrade.

vectradam 14:40 25 Jun 08

i want to upgrade the ram on my mums pc from 256mb.i have scanned it with ORCA who say it has an MSI MICROSTAR MOTHERBOARD AWRDACPI , with only 1 memory slot,and requires PC100 100MHZ MEMORY.this ties up with what the computer itself has said ie AWRDACPI. The CRUCIAL scan says it has 2 slots and needs SDRAM PC133. she has the original motherboard book which says it is a

GA-81DML series
intel 845 AGPset
P4 Titan series motherboard
Pentium 4 processor motherboard

its definitely an intel celeron 1700mhz

can anyone shed any light on this

many thanks

RobCharles1981 14:46 25 Jun 08

Run this scan from crucial

click here

PC133 ram is going to be very slow, I would suggest u buy a new pc.

cream. 15:04 25 Jun 08

"The CRUCIAL scan says it has 2 slots and needs SDRAM PC133."

Thats right. It can take upto 512Mb per slot. click here
You could buy the 512Mb module and put it in with the pc 100 ram. The computer will slow the pc 133 down to pc 100 speed.

It is quite expensive for just a small upgrade on an old celeron cpu.

If you were to think that you install 1Gb of ram in the machine for a few pounds more you could get a bang upto date motherboard bundle with a superfast cpu ans superfast memory. click here

If you have a full windows disk, it's worth consideration.

vectradam 15:20 25 Jun 08

the computer is only used to write the odd letter etc and the occasional e-mail and internet use. unfortunately spending that sort of money is out of the question so i was hoping to be able to do something for somewhat less

thanks for your help

vectradam 16:04 25 Jun 08

click here . is this what i am lookihg for and if i fitted 2 of these and removed the pc100 ram would i see any benefit

thanks

vectradam 16:51 25 Jun 08

forgot to say , the pc has the little monitors down in the r/h corner twice . 1 says 'tiscali broadband , speed 2.3mps ' and the other monitor icon says ' local area connection,a network cable is unplugged' and it has a red cross through it. could this be anything to do with slowing the internet side of things.

crosstrainer 17:29 25 Jun 08

No, it just means that your onboard lan is connected but not in use. You can disable it if you wish, but it won't improve your speeds.

cream. 18:09 25 Jun 08

"novatech

click here . is this what i am lookihg for and if i fitted 2 of these and removed the pc100 ram would i see any benefit"

This is a different type of memory to the one you are using. Yours has 186pins while this has 168pins. They will physically not fit into the motherboard.

cream. 18:14 25 Jun 08

Sorry. Strike that posting off.

IT IS THE RIGHT RAM!!!!!!!!

and you can use it. Also

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac