Everything tries to open in Notepad!?

jake2 20:31 10 Oct 03

Trying to help a freind, Every shortcut on his desktop trys to open in notepad. Any idea why or how to stop it? If he opens the program from start, all programs he can get in. The only short cuts that work are my computer and my documents. Thought when he first explained it to me it was only internet explorer so was going to compare his settings to mine or remove and reinstall. Is this just a setting somewhere or more serious?

woodchip 20:43 10 Oct 03

What Operating System

jake2 20:50 10 Oct 03

XP Home

woodchip 20:53 10 Oct 03

Right Vog is the man for this, so I do not know if this will work go to run and type SFC and see if it will run the System File Checker if it will you will need the xp disc in when you run it

woodchip 20:57 10 Oct 03

I seem to think you have to boot the comp with the WinXP disc and repair the files strait of the CD there is an opition to do that but you need some one who as XP like Vog

MAJ 20:59 10 Oct 03

It's.... sfc /scannow ..woodchip. :-)

jake2 21:10 10 Oct 03

OK will try sfc have passed the info on to him (also the pca website address so that he ask the experts himself!!) Thanks

VoG II 21:18 10 Oct 03

He/she should be able to do a System Restore back to a time before this happened.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

jake2 21:28 10 Oct 03

Thought that too, but i,m told that his system has been doing this since about a year. Does xp automaticaly set restore points at regular intervals?

VoG II 21:32 10 Oct 03

Yes but he won't be able to go back a year (not enough disk space).

How can anyone have put up with this for a year??

Anyway try the SFC /SCANNOW approach and see if that works.

If not, do a repair click here

For either of these methods to work he will need a Windows XP disk. You are now going to tell us that he conly has a recovery disk, if that ......

jake2 21:42 10 Oct 03

Yep you guessed it! Same as me i only have recovery disc also, his system from tiny, mine from mesh.(good eh!?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…