Everything slowing up, and I don't mean this forum

Fateful Shadow 21:41 01 Sep 05

This isn't another one of those post asking why the forums slow or about my postings...more on why on earth my broadband connection has decided to slow down...

It's been fine for the past few weeks but tonigh it seems to be going quite slower than usual...ok, a lot faster than dial up but it's dropped to about half the previous speed.

I was wondering whether it might have something to do with my router? It does get very hot and I'm wondering whether this causes the connection to slow down, as it may otherwise blow up or something :S

Any ideas? Thanks :)

octal 21:50 01 Sep 05

Have you tried running a speed test? What ISP are you using?

Fateful Shadow 21:51 01 Sep 05

I'm on BT Yahoo! 2

VoG II 21:52 01 Sep 05

Try this test click here

octal 21:54 01 Sep 05

I'm sure there is a better speed test for BT, but this one should give you an idea click here

Fateful Shadow 21:54 01 Sep 05

Sorry, pressed return a bit too fast then :P

BT Yahoo! 2 meg, and I have run a speed test from PC Pitstop and another ISP service.

I think it took about 7.3 seconds to download a 200kb file. When I first started using the service I would download that much in about 3 seconds!

I just held the router in my hand for about 3 seconds and it was very hot. I don't really have a thermometer handy so I can't tell you at what temperature it is :P ...

Fateful Shadow 22:14 01 Sep 05

I've just used the speed test VoG recommended...ouch...

Test 1: Ping times to UK servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 30 ms (lower is better)

gold.ac.uk: 87.3 ms
linx.net: 93.3 ms
london.gov.uk: 94.5 ms

This result shows serious problems with your ping times, and should be investigated.

Test 2: Ping times to European servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 50 ms (lower is better)

univ-rennes1.fr: 115.3 ms
univ-rennes1.fr: 122 ms
free.fr: 94.5 ms

This result shows serious problems with your ping times, and should be investigated.

Test 3: Ping times to east-coast USA servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 120 ms (lower is better)

helios.dii.utk.edu: 190 ms
ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu: 171.8 ms
mirror.nocservices.com: 180.8 ms

This result is much poorer than expected and should be investigated.

Test 4: Ping times to west-coast USA servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 160 ms (lower is better)

mirrors.usc.edu: 255.3 ms
ucla.edu: 270.5 ms
utah.edu: 252.3 ms

This result is much poorer than expected and should be investigated.

Test 5: Download speeds from UK servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 2048 Kb/s (higher is better)

apache.rmplc.co.uk: 211 Kb/s

This result shows serious problems with your downloads, and should be investigated.

I've run it 3 times, once as normal, then with everything closed that uses the internet, then witht the phone cord unplugged. The one pasted above is the most recent. Between each one I switched off the router and allowed it to reconnect to the ADSL signal before trying again.

Just so you know, when I go by the router I can 'smell' it... it might sound silly, but the 'smell of electricity'

Thanks for the help so far :)

VoG II 22:27 01 Sep 05

I don't think that the router should be running that hot but as I have a cable router I can't be definite about that.

If it smells like 'electrical burning' I would be worried and turn it off.

Can you connect directly (not through the router).

As a guide to temps, 60 'C is just about unbearable for palm contact for most people.

Fateful Shadow 22:50 01 Sep 05

I can't connect directly unfortunately...

When I hold the router base i can feel my fingertips burning...so I'm guessing it's close to 60'C. It also 'clicks' from time to time...I assume this is the plastic expanding and contracting...

woodchip 22:51 01 Sep 05

What should the Upload speed be for 512kb

VoG II 22:54 01 Sep 05

Seriously, I would turn it off.

If it 'blows' it may also damage the PCs connected to it.

I think that you need to get it checked by a qualified repair shop or electrician.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…