everything opens slow

raggy 2 13:13 20 Jan 06

Hi guys
I have a pentium 4 2gh processor 200gb H/drive and 756 ram yet when I click on any of my short cuts on the desk top it takes ages before anything happens - like when I click on wanadoo to log onto the net it takes ages- it never use to be like this it seems like its got worse over the last 3-4 weeks. Any ideas would be welcome.
Oh yes even the first programm I try to start does this so I dont have other things running.

mattyc_92 14:13 20 Jan 06

Of the 200gigs capicity, how much is free? This can slow a system down

Also, when was the last time you "defraged" your system?

mattyc_92 14:15 20 Jan 06

ps.... use "Diskeeper Lite" for defragging your system. It is a free tool and is better than Windows own defrag tool

click here for free download of Diskeeper.

raggy 2 14:19 20 Jan 06

only done defrag last week and using diskeeper lite. the 200g is split into 40 (11g free) c/drive and 160(120 free) d/drive.

mattyc_92 14:23 20 Jan 06

Your c: drive has only 11gigs free from 40gigs.

If you resize your other drive (say by about 7gigs) and add that space onto your c: drive, your system's performance should inprove.

Remember, when you are resizing partitions, please backup your data before hand incase it goes pear-shaped

raggy 2 16:26 20 Jan 06

Mattyc
I dont know how to resize a drive, is it hard to do?? and what is involved

mattyc_92 16:32 20 Jan 06

You will need a program such as "Partition Magic" (click here)

You then just simply close all programs (MSN Messenger, Outlook, Word, etc...) and open Partition Magic. Just simply follow the on-screen instructions and click "Apply" this will reset your system and the partitions will be changed....

Hope that helps...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…