Everything but internet sound...!!

Jonny H 14:26 29 Dec 05

I am pleased that I have set up two home computers as server and client via crossover cable.I now get the internet on the client using 'CC Proxy' in the serving PC,and have set the settings for Real and Windows Media Players,which seem to work in appearance(i.e.BBC radio player looks as normal and it says it is playing plus time rolls out on the transmission),but don't get any sound!!CD's play etc with no problem.

I also have all the security features(Zone Alarm,AVG Anti-Virus,Spybot,Adaware)on both-the settings for Zone Alarm are high on both for internet zone and medium on trusted zone,which is the 'Loopline' whatever that is.

Can anyone help me with the internet sound issue on client PC,the server functions adequately as does the client,apart from no internet sound on the latter?Could it be Zone Alarms settings or perhaps the two PC's are toomuch for a 1mb broadband connection?

mgmcc 16:38 29 Dec 05

Is there any particular reason for using Proxy Server software in your "host" PC rather than the more usual "Internet Connection sharing", which is supported from Windows 98SE onwards?

I don't know whether or not the software you are using is responsible for your problem, but ICS shouldn't prevent sound from working normally.

Jonny H 17:56 29 Dec 05

Yes.I found the ICS system confusing,and not geared up for crossover cable between just two computers.Was getting only a little progress despite research on the matter for hours and hours via various internet websites.How would the proxy server cause no internet sound?The settings I have used for the two players,Real and Windows Media are as prescribed by the click here website to use with their CCProxy server downloaded software.It was recommended by the Web section of the Daily Telegraph online edition.I get everything else bar internet sound.Don't really want to go back to square one or two when just need square 10 to complete the jigsaw.Hope you understand.It is a windows 98SE(client) to XP(server)connection using Wanadoo broadband 1 mb at XP unit.

Jonny H 19:11 29 Dec 05

Is it worth trying 'ICS Config' as described in PC Advisor downloads for LAN?

mgmcc 19:36 29 Dec 05

<<< I found the ICS system confusing,and not geared up for crossover cable between just two computers >>>

That is exactly how it is normally used and, if the "Host" PC is running XP, all that is involved is to tick one box!

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address and subnet mask The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

With Internet Connection Sharing, in Zone Alarm select the Firewall tab at the left and then the Zones tab at the top. Click the "Add" button and select "Subnet" then enter:

IP address -

Subnet Mask -

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Click OK, then click Apply and then minimise Z.A.

You should be able to try ICS without upsetting your existing Proxy Server arrangement, just don't run it and the IP addresses might also be affected, but there is nothing complicated about running ICS with XP, unlike earlier versions of Windows.

Jonny H 21:54 29 Dec 05

Nope,still cannot access internet via ICS,that's why I use CC Proxy(but still no sound even with Zone Alarm down to medium on host).Been trying for days the 'easy way',will contact supplier of CC Proxy for help.Thanks anyway,your time appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…