Everything is corrupt???? :s HELP!

fourjays 10:17 23 Oct 04

About two weeks ago, Windows XP gladly told me that the folder 'system 32' was corrupt - the comp rebooted and chkdsk it. A few days later the same happened again, but with 'system'. Then a few days after 'windows'. After that it seemed to stop, but instead the computer would spontaneously reboot at anytime. Everytime XP has told me in the error report it is a 'device driver', and also on a few occasions 'nvidia driver'. I spent many hours trying different driver versions for my card, but still it reboots. I eventually decided to reinstall XP. XP installed fine. But upon trying to install SP2, and many games, I was gladly informed my CD/DVD was corrupt. I then tried these CDs/DVDs in my other computer (with the same make of DVDROM), and it read them fine. So I have replaced the DVDROM, but this morning, XP decided to chkdsk again, and I have suffered more reboots....... What the hell is wrong?

PS: I have DSL, and IE6.0 keeps telling me its offline, and can't find a connection, but if I click 'try again', it works fine.

fourjays 10:21 23 Oct 04

Before this, I previously had to replace the motherboard, because there was a fault stopping it from reading two sticks of 512Mb memory. After replacing that, the HDD failed, so I replaced that with a SATA 80Gb HDD. Before I tried to add the extra stick of memory in, the computer was incredibly reliable, and would never reboot spontaneously. I have just had problem after problem since the 'upgrade'. lol

JonnyTub 10:29 23 Oct 04

Try running the system file checker before you look into the hardware side of things

click start, click on run and then type into the box SFC /SCANNOW

press ok (note the inbetween the command parameters)

Have your xp cd to hand.

fourjays 10:57 23 Oct 04

Well its just finished doing that. It asked for the CD and finished scanning, so I will just have to hope it has fixed it. watch this space.... lol.

But the prob with IE6.0 is still there. It is the message you usually get on dial-up, when you haven't made the connection, and it asks you if you want to 'work offline' or 'try again'. It does it every time I open IE, and often when I change the webpage without clicking a link.

JonnyTub 11:05 23 Oct 04

try going to control panel, internet options and on the connections tab, put a tick in the never dial a connection box, click ok. Don't know if this will work as mine is all greyed out and "optionless". Probably because i'm on cable. If it doesn't work someone on a dsl i'm sure can help further regarding this.

Out of curiousity and with regard to your hardware going a little potty, are there any exclamation marks in device manager?

fourjays 12:32 23 Oct 04

The never dial a connection box is greyed out as you said. I think maybe this problem is related to whatever else is going on with my mad computer....

The device manager gave me the following message when I tried to open it, maybe a sign of what is actually wrong, but I have no idea what it is really on about, other than a file is missing:

"MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\System32\devmgmt.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

errrmmmm....... help. I am logged on as admin, with no other accounts, so I should have 'sufficient access rights'.
I checked the path, and the file is present there. After posting this, I will reboot and see if I can access it then.

fourjays 12:36 23 Oct 04

Just rebooted, and the device manager opened fine, with no errors, or warning signs on any of the hardware....

fourjays 12:47 23 Oct 04

Last night, I was playing on TRS2004 with no problems at all. Now today, it is stating to me that the OpenGL drivers aren't there......

JonnyTub 13:15 23 Oct 04

despite there being no exclamations in device manager, i suspect there is a conflict somewhere and most likely the gfx card. Try a beta driver from click here

Do you use an avertv dvb-t pci card?

Failing that perform a system repair, there are quite a few problems that you seem to be experiencing that a repair could sort out.

woodchip 13:23 23 Oct 04

Other than Memory overheating CPU can corrupt your system

woodchip 13:24 23 Oct 04

As the cpu been over clocked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…