Every pc startup Windows Defender needs to scan

SB23 13:12 03 Nov 06

Since yesterday I've been having a tidyup of my system, taking programs off, and putting a few on. Because of this the pc has needed to reboot a few times to complete the process. On every occasion, the defender icon is showing with an exclamation mark in it, which when you click, tells me that I haven't scanned for 12 days, but the schedule is to run on Saturdays at 5pm every week.
I've just run a scan to keep it happy, but its still telling me I've not scanned for 12 days.

Any ideas? as I'm begining to get a little fed up with problems with this program.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Probabilitydrive 16:12 03 Nov 06

This is a pretty common Defender issue. What seems to help a lot of times is deleting the previous definition file. To do this go to Start>run>Msiexec /x
{A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C} . Answer yes to the window that asks "Do you really want to delete this file?". Check for updates and Defender should update to the latest definition file.

birdface 17:01 03 Nov 06

If you have downloaded IE7 Lately, Go to add remove Programs, Check that Windows Defender is still on there,Mine was deleted ,Are you using the Beta Defender if so Delete it ,And download new version,

SB23 12:58 04 Nov 06

Thanks for that.

I hadn't realised but I was still running the beta2 version.
I've downloaded the other version, and all seems well. Thankyou

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5