Event Viewer messages and others

Rhuddlan 16:43 14 Feb 05

A friend of mine was looking at the event viewer and came across some error messages in the system pane and these read: -

the server cc7a6223-3759-4075-8cea-971f5cfcoed2 did not register with DCOM within the required timeout

And one in the system pane again but a warning entrie read: -

TCP/IPhas reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent tcp connect attempts

Her son who seems to control the comp installed Kazza the other day and she was infected with loads of malware and spyware, I managed to get rid of most, but Altnet refuses to go, spybot can't seem to fix the problem, she also has ad aware which is now clean of any nasties. She has AVG 7.0 and ZA 5.5 which are both up to date and no viruses have been found.

Now and again when she opens ie it opens up very slowly and she sometimes receives this message: -

C/DOCUME1\janice\LOCALS1\Temple67a-appcompat.txt

This can also appear after scanning spybot, when trying to fix the selected problems.

I re formatted her comp only two weeks ago, which is a e machines with windows xp home sp2 with all updates installed. But has already begun to slow down due to the kids installing and downloading all sorts of stuff. Kazza has been uninstalled and a registry cleaner has been installed and has cleaned out plenty of unused entries.

So can anyone help one desprate friend of mine who seems to have endless problems with her two year old machine, who is controlled by 15 year old's whenever she leaves the room.

Rhuddlan 17:10 14 Feb 05

bump

Gongoozler 17:12 14 Feb 05

It would appear that appcompat.txt is simply an error report for Microsoft to diagnose the problem. Unless you can identify the cause of the errors and slow performance, I would suggest another clean reinstall, but this time password protect the computer, possibly in BIOS and Windows, and leave it like that until the 15 year old learns some responsibility.

Rhuddlan 17:38 14 Feb 05

Anyone know of a removal tool for Altnet?, as this can't be fixed by spybot and seems to be on the system due to Kazza.

Rhuddlan 19:01 14 Feb 05

Sorry to be so impatient, but has anyone got a link to provide me for a removal tool to the annoyning Altnet?

Rhuddlan 21:54 14 Feb 05

Have found a removal tool and will give it a try and post back, cheers everyone.

.HTML 21:59 14 Feb 05

glad we could help

Rhuddlan 22:56 14 Feb 05

Have found a removal tool

click here

and it gives me instructions on how to remove the p2p networking spyware and all that and says to remove directories and system files, how would I find these and how would I delete them? I am worried that I might bugger up my friend's comp.

Please help, I am going there tommorow afternoon and I want to get it sorted.

Rhuddlan 23:06 15 Feb 05

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…