Euro

denali 14:29 04 May 03

Could any one of you lovely people please tell me if there is a patch, for keyboards, to show the Euro monetary symbol, or do we have to buy new keyboards.

Many thanks

-pops- 14:32 04 May 03

Try Alt Gr and 4

Brian

-pops- 14:35 04 May 03

Alt Gr is just to the right of the space bar.

Whether you can get the € depends more on the operating system than the keyboard I think and also the software that you are using. There has been a lot of discussion here recently about newer versions of Opera browser being blind to the € symbol.

Brian

(sorry, I pressed the respond key too soon before)

BRYNIT 15:57 04 May 03

Try Ctrl Alt 4

Work on Win98 and XP home

DieSse 16:22 04 May 03

If you're using a UK layout keyboard - otherwise it may be elsewhere.

Also - out of interset, the € symbol does not exist in many fonts - there are some updates for older OS to add support into some fonts.

expertec 19:05 04 May 03

Alt Gr + 4 works fine on a windows ME system with a new keyboard, it also works on a windows NT 4.0 system with a very old keyboard even though the symbol is not shown on the key. €€€€€€

Pesala 20:24 04 May 03

My PC was new in September 2001, and it has a ? symbol on the 4 key, to the right of the 4. If you are a bit handy with a soldering iron I expect you could burn a ? symbol on the keytop, or just use a fine-tip marker pen.

Pesala 22:25 04 May 03

I have a € on my keyboard
My PC was new in September 2001, and it has a € symbol on the 4 key, to the right of the 4. If you are a bit handy with a soldering iron I expect you could burn a € symbol on the keytop, or just use a fine-tip marker pen.

Pesala 08:12 05 May 03

On the Opera Forum click here I found what I hope will be a solution to the problem of pasting extended ANSI characters from Opera 7. Before pasting this message, I chose View, Encoding, Western, Windows-1252

Test of ANSI Characters: ? © ® ? ¹²³

Because the ? symbol is not part of ISO 8859-1. Opera will allow windows-1252 characters (? is available in windows codepage 1252 character 128) even in pages declared as ISO 8859-1, but will not produce such codes in its outgoing data. If you select View - Encoding - Windows-1252 manually, Opera will see the page as codepage 1252 and allow you to write ? wherever you want.

Opera 6 used to allow windows-1252 output for ISO 8859-1 pages. This was a bug, and was corrected in Opera 7.0.

The opinions expressed are my own, and not those of my employer.

Pesala 08:57 05 May 03

Originally posted by Pesala

If the ™ and € are not allowed as they are part of ISO 8859-1 on such pages, why are they allowed when pasted from Internet Explorer?

Answer:

Because it treats ISO 8859-1 as if it was windows-1252. Opera adheres to the standard.

The problems stems from the early browsers, which just showed any page using the computer's internal encoding. For western versions of Windows, this happened to be windows-1252, a superset of ISO 8859-1, so there was no need to convert the input since it looked fine. Unfortunately, Windows users started writing pages using these non-standard characters, so browsers on other platforms (which adhered to ISO 8859-1) had to implement support for these extended characters as well.

Because of this common mislabelling of pages (saying they are ISO 8859-1 when they really are windows-1252), Opera, on input, will treat the two as equal. On output it will however be strict. If a page is declared as windows-1252, Opera will allow the extended characters to be posted, but if the page is not it will not.

The opinions expressed are my own, and not those of my employer.

-pops- 09:25 05 May 03

"The problems stems from the early browsers"

WRONG! The problem is with the current Opera browser. It used to work, now it doesn't. No amount of palliation from Peter Karllson can alter that.

A browser user should not have to bother with ISO 8859-1 or superset ISO anything at all. A browser user should expect to be able to use the browser in the way he is used to and with the same ease that other browsers allow.

Opera have cocked it up in their 7 version and will not confess this, as I have said before.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…