Ethernet wired v wireless internet connection

GMD 19:33 PM 13 Jun 12

I've always had a wired router but recently bought a wireless one so I could play BBC iPlayer through my TV. It is usually fine but sometimes gets extremely slow both for sending and receiving emails and for connecting to websites. So I have today tried going back to my wired router and it is much quicker. Is this a coincidence or a known fact? I live in a very rural area.

rdave13 19:38 PM 13 Jun 12

There might be interference sometimes on the signal the router is sending. Have you tried changing the channel the router is broadcasting on?

GMD 19:50 PM 13 Jun 12

I didn't know you could change channels. I am only talking about PC internet speed and emailing. I don't have any problems with the BBCiPlayer

rdave13 20:10 PM 13 Jun 12

BBCi player depends on internet speed. 2 Meg is the minimum I think for goodish performance. Try running a speed test a few times in a day on Ethernet and do the same again on wireless. This one is quite good.

Nontek 22:07 PM 13 Jun 12

A wired connection is quicker than wireless.

rdave13 22:12 PM 13 Jun 12

Nontek, but not by much if you're fairly close to the router. My speed tests don't vary much from wi-fi to wired in the house. In the gaiden it's a different matter..... :(

Nontek 22:16 PM 13 Jun 12

rdave13

Agreed, but when one is in a Rural, poor reception area, every little helps.

rdave13 22:24 PM 13 Jun 12

I'm in a rural area. Reception depends on the router settings and the speed the ISP can supply.

rdave13 22:27 PM 13 Jun 12

Correction, the speed the ISP will supply without doing work in the exchange.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…