Ethernet wired v wireless internet connection

GMD 19:33 PM 13 Jun 12

I've always had a wired router but recently bought a wireless one so I could play BBC iPlayer through my TV. It is usually fine but sometimes gets extremely slow both for sending and receiving emails and for connecting to websites. So I have today tried going back to my wired router and it is much quicker. Is this a coincidence or a known fact? I live in a very rural area.

rdave13 19:38 PM 13 Jun 12

There might be interference sometimes on the signal the router is sending. Have you tried changing the channel the router is broadcasting on?

GMD 19:50 PM 13 Jun 12

I didn't know you could change channels. I am only talking about PC internet speed and emailing. I don't have any problems with the BBCiPlayer

rdave13 20:10 PM 13 Jun 12

BBCi player depends on internet speed. 2 Meg is the minimum I think for goodish performance. Try running a speed test a few times in a day on Ethernet and do the same again on wireless. This one is quite good.

Nontek 22:07 PM 13 Jun 12

A wired connection is quicker than wireless.

rdave13 22:12 PM 13 Jun 12

Nontek, but not by much if you're fairly close to the router. My speed tests don't vary much from wi-fi to wired in the house. In the gaiden it's a different matter..... :(

Nontek 22:16 PM 13 Jun 12

rdave13

Agreed, but when one is in a Rural, poor reception area, every little helps.

rdave13 22:24 PM 13 Jun 12

I'm in a rural area. Reception depends on the router settings and the speed the ISP can supply.

rdave13 22:27 PM 13 Jun 12

Correction, the speed the ISP will supply without doing work in the exchange.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites