Ethernet - what is it for

huzzar 17:14 15 Jun 03

My new computer came with an "Ethernet: 10/100" for networking and ADSL. What exactly is it? The reason why I ask is my phone exchange is about to go on broadband and I don't see this 'card' or whatever it is, listed as a requisit for broadband - or am I missing something or just being stupid.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Ray

Lú-tzé 18:04 15 Jun 03

It is a network card - for connecting certain types of asdl modems to the PC (the other option is a USB connector) as well as for connecting two or more PCs together (into a network).

keith-236785 20:40 15 Jun 03

huzzar

typically broadband modems can connect either via USB or ETHERNET, totally up to you.

mine is connected through USB but i have connected through Ethernet, i didnt notice any difference speed wise though

only good thing about using the ethernet is it frees up a USB port.

Paperman27

huzzar 11:46 16 Jun 03

Thank you both - I am enlightned.

Danoh 13:18 16 Jun 03

If your USB port is version 1.0 or 1.1 (not 2.0), then the ethernet connection has better speed capability. To exploit USB 2.0, the ADSL modem will also need to have a USB 2.0 port rather than 1.n.

Should you wish to have more than one PC linked up to use the single broadband (ADSL or cable) connection, you will need to have an ethernet port on each PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…