Ethernet Vs Wireless

proudfoot 15:28 PM 12 Oct 11

My BT HomeHub is in the same room as my PC and I have a wireless card. I can also connect my PC to he hub using an ethernet cable. Which is preferable, also would one allow faster downloads over theother.

mgmcc 22:06 PM 12 Oct 11

A wired ethernet connection will always be more reliable than a wireless connection. In terms of speed, this is likely to be most significant in a Local Area Network where files are transferred between computers.

As far as the internet is concerned, unless you have a broadband connection of about 50Mbps, your connection from the computer to the router will always be much faster than your download internet connection, so wired or wireless makes little difference. Having said that, if you are running more than one computer "wirelessly", the available bandwidth is shared by them, unlike wired connections where each will have the full speed of the router's network switch, usually 100Mbps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…