ethernet questions

BeeWee 13:20 13 Nov 03

please could someone help me? i had an ethernet card fitted yesterday but when i got home i had no lead to connect the modem to the card. i fiddled around and got the usb connection working again. my question is...when i connect the ethernet card, will it be a simple process or will i have to change many setting to get it working? also what are the advantages of ethernet? i run xp pro with an ntl connection of 600kbs

hugh-265156 14:21 13 Nov 03

uninstall correctconnect and any usb software driver via add remove programs if its installed,unplug the usb from the modem and the computer and switch both off.

connect up your ethernet card to the modem and the computer and turn on.

run your ntl cd and choose ethernet connection and fill in the details,choose existing customer.should set up ok.just remove correctconnect again after install as its useless.

click here for troubleshooting.

BeeWee 15:27 13 Nov 03

thank you huggyg71 what are the advantages of using the ethernet card over the usb connection?

recap 15:47 13 Nov 03

Ethernet is a faster connection.

hugh-265156 16:41 13 Nov 03

i doubt you will notice any speed increase between usb and ethernet.

some say it uses less system resourses but i have tried both ways of connection and cant see any difference in my connection speed or speed of the computer in general.

you will have a free usb port to plug your other equipment into though thats the plus for me.

Cretin07 18:34 13 Nov 03

yeah ethernet roxorz. less chance of it being pulled out of the socket. very simple to change over.

BeeWee 18:45 13 Nov 03

thank you all very much!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…