Ethernet problem Packard Bell

PAE 22:16 02 Jun 09

My Daughter in Law has an oldish Packard Bell. The Ethernet port appears to be live, in that there is a green light, but does not show up in Network Connections. She wants to use it for Virgin BB and their current modem is Ethernet only. I think it may be turned off in the BIOS but I can't find may way in. I have told her to buy a card but I am intrigued as to how to access the BIOS to check. The Virgin BB disk just shows the message that there is no card. Can anyone help please?

Strawballs 22:19 02 Jun 09

If I remember rightly its F2 with Packard Bell I'm sure that is what my old Cub90 was

birdface 22:28 02 Jun 09

Tell her to Turn the computer on then switch the modem off for 20 seconds and then back on again and see if it works ok then.

PAE 09:26 03 Jun 09

Never thought of F2. I tried the usuals Del and F8 so I will give that a try.

Re. Modem; we hadn't even got to the point of connecting it. We were just running the Virgin disk to check on suitability which stopped at this point. I have run this PC on BB using my own modem which is one of their first types with both Ethernet and USB so I knew it had the capability. I'll let you know progress as soon as she gets a card.

User-1229748 11:32 03 Jun 09

i'm on a 6 year old packard bell and i had to enable the ethernet in device manager.start-right click my computer-properties-hardware-device manager-network adapters

PAE 16:18 03 Jun 09

Tried that but no network adapters shown in Device Manager

PAE 16:19 03 Jun 09

Tried that but no network adapters shown in Device Manager

User-1229748 16:30 03 Jun 09

could try the add hardware wizard from control panel,see if that finds anything.

User-1229748 16:35 03 Jun 09

strawballs was right about the bios being f2

PAE 08:49 04 Jun 09

I tried the add hardware wizard but it couldn't find anything. I am probably going to have another look tonight and try F2 but hopefully she will have bought a card for me to put in.

PAE 19:37 04 Jun 09

The situation has been resolved. She went to buy an ethernet card but was sold a wireless dongle to go with her router. That has got her on line so she is very happy. I will bear your comments in mind if a problem arises.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now